October 11, 2007

Cue the music.....Feelings.....nothing more than Feelings....

That's all they are....feelings.

The struggle is, we often let them define our experiences. We let them rule our actions. They have the power to dictate the outcome of our day, and, left unchecked, dictate the course of our lives.

What can we do then? We are affected by circumstances, by the actions of others, by our own choices, by life. And, in this day and age, our kids are told they should do what they feel, express themselves, no matter what they are feeling, its ok. Its validated.

There is a Proverb that says "Better to meet a bear robbed of her cubs, than a fool in his folly."
Why? How can this be? Left to let our feelings rule our lives, we lead ourselves to folly. We rob ourselves of life. Of peace. Of health. Of well-being.

We all, at one time or another, will face struggles, disappointment, loneliness, loss, illness, pain, fear, rejection, anxiety...because we are human, and live in a world that is not perfect.

What then, can we do? Here is an exercise I practice (currently on a regular basis). For every feeling, I list it.

I feel anxious.

I feel overwhelmed.

I feel fear.

I feel depressed.

Then I look in the Bible until I find one (or several) Scripture that speaks truth to what I feel. I then say it over and over, or pray it until the Truth overcomes my feelings. (Sometimes I am comforted immediately and sometimes it takes time, but I continue to speak the Truth over what I feel)


I feel anxious.....Psalm 127:2 "It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to His loved ones."
I Peter 5:7 " Cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you."

I feel overwhelmed....Psalm 53:3 "There they were, overwhelmed with dread, when there was nothing to dread."
Isaiah 26:3 "Thou will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee."

I feel fear... Isaiah 43 "Fear not, for I have redeemed you....when you go through fire, water, rivers, I will be with you...you are Mine" (paraphrased)

I feel depressed... I learn from the example of Elijah (the Prophet who became depressed I Kings 19) and Job (Job 10:1) and David in so many of the Psalms that depression is real. I love that in so many of the Psalms David cries out in anguish and yet ends with, "Yet I will praise Him" or he speaks to his soul, "Soul, why are you downcast, hope thou in God."

Like exercise (which I hate) profits my body, so this exercise profits my spirit.

Try it, it will work for you, too.

And, please, someone get this (Feelings) song out of my head!

I'm just sayin....

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks, I needed this!

Mrs. C said...

Thank you for acknowledging that feelings are real. Too many times I see peaople (this includes Christians) sweeping their feelings under the carpet (as if that means they're really gone!) and put on a happy face. (Now I'm singing "happy plastic people..." by Casting Crowns)

That isn't real life.

The healthiest thing to do is what you say. Recognize how you are feeling and then doing battle. Just because we feel a certain way doesn't mean we have to be controlled by it.

I miss you.

Promises said...

This was such a great post! Thank you for this tool! I have often prayed about my feelings - but I also like the writing down of them and finding a scripture to speak over yourself.

Yesterday, I had a busy day and started to get upset about the way that the day had gone, but once I prayed about it and asked the Lord to change my attitude - it turned out to be a better day. God is so good!

Lisa said...

It's easier to get wrapped up in the problem and miss the solution...which is usually right around the corner. God will never abandon us.

The Gang's Momma! said...

Okay, arrow to the heart. See, that's what I miss about you!

This has been such a hard week for my feelings. Last night, the Lord dealt with me that I was acting as if MY feelings were the only ones that mattered (over a certain situation with a certain hubby!). When I repented to HIM then to him, not only did I feel better, but I could hear the truth of the situation more clearly. And I got over myself!

Now if I could just get over this nasty PMS :) CHAWCLATE. I need CHAWCLATE!