October 1, 2007

Imagine that?! My Hero is From Joisey

I have a hero.

It's a woman.

Strong.

Courageous.

Brave.

Fun.



I love that she lives every moment to the fullest. I've never known anyone who lives this way like she does. Whether its a breeze that cools the evening, a herd of cows that may want her Miata to stop and pay them a visit, a road that calls her name to explore what lies ahead. Whether its jumping out of plane to overcome her fear of flying or learning to swim at an age when many would give up. She is my hero.


She has faced terminal cancer and lived to tell the story, against the odds. She chose not to accept the certain death sentence the professionals uttered, and chose to live life to the fullest, one day at a time, with long life ahead of her and a secure eternity certain. She is my hero.


She is not an author, but she wrote a book. She is not a public speaker, but she will be featured on a Christian televsion station in just a few days to tell her story. (Harvest TV Show - She'll be appearing (live) on Thursday, October 4th between 9-10AM EST. It's a short 7-10 minute segment. I am told you can also view the show via your computer by accessing http://www.harvest-tv.com/.) She is my hero.


Her adult son writes about her book Healing in Its Wings... (on Amazon.com):

For those who are experiencing patient-dom for the first time, this book is for you. It captured the feelings of helplessness and despair that accompany any negative medical diagnosis, while encouraging the reader to cling to the Hope that was clearly the largest source of strength for the author. Using her own experiences, she also exposes some of the many injustices currently taking place in American medicine.


The book is written in a very down-to-earth style, and the reader is constantly assured of the author's humanness, humor and faith. I'd highly recommend this book to those in any stage of sickness, or those with sick loved ones who would like perspective on what the American patient is up against.


She is my hero. Please visit her web site, buy her book for you or for someone you know. You'll be glad you did.


I'm just sayin....

2 comments:

Krazy Klingers said...

I think your sister is my new hero too! I love your entire family! Thank you for adopting me...well you really had no choice... Pappy is the one who wanted me in the family. hee hee

@pril G said...

Your whole entire family is amazing! SOME folks *ahem* get to be adopted into it. But the rest of us get to watch and learn: how to be sweet, creative, sincere, funny, brave... I love you Joisey Tawker! Keep on tawking cuz I'm listenin!