July 5, 2009

Care to Dance?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about dancing in the rain." Unknown.

It is said that into everyone's life a little rain must fall. Some believe that if you pray or believe hard enough, there will not be rain. Some choose to live in denial of storms and for some, the storms seem endless.

Pain, disease, sadness, heartache, whatever "storm" touches your life can be analyzed, fought against, argued with friends for a cause and course of action. All of these drain you of energy and can be a futile attempt to discover a reason we may never understand.

For me, I am choosing, as often as I can, to dance in the rain! My sister and hero I have written about in prior posts has lived with Stage 4 cancer. I've never known anyone to live life to the fullest like she does. She drives a Miata, and loves to come visit and take a drive with the top down. No destination, no time limit, just drive. It is always an adventure. (Thank God I live in a rural area.) She will stop in the middle of a road to admire a tree! She ponders the countless birds that have nested there, (doesn't she realize I don't have time for this? There is laundry to be done, there are errands to run, meals to make...) She also loves to stop and visit "her" cows. Does anyone around here stop and admire, and dare I admit, talk to cows???

Naturally, I feign interest. I really don't care if the cows are eating well, or have missed her stopping to see them! She, however, has learned to dance in the rain.

If you saw her you'd never know she had cancer! She is a life of the party, has numerous friends who love her company, all because she is full of joy!

Cancer has not made her prepare to die, its taught her how to live!! And in her learning to dance in the rain, she is teaching me how to live!

Care to dance anyone?

3 comments:

Kelli said...

This is beautiful...and true. Your sister really is such a lesson in joy. :)

Promises said...

This is so good to read, and something that we all need to learn how to do

Say Anything said...

Currently as a family, we are focusing on joy as our Fruit of the Spirit. Funny - I thought that my kids REALLY NEEDED JOY. And isn't it true, that when you set out to teach someone else (in my case, the kids) - you find out that it's really YOU that needs the joy - even more so than the kids!!! I chose joy today - it wasn't easy this morning, but by dinner - I was laughing. My husband even commented that it was good to hear me laugh, and then he followed that up with, it's been hard to elicit that response from you lately. He's right - I've been hard to live with - by choice. But JOY feels so much better! Thanks for a wonderful reminder! It's good to have you back! I've missed you!